Here are links to some stories in franchising that I found interesting this week. Minimum wage issues continue to be top-of-mind for franchise businesses.
- The Seattle City Council is considering raising the minimum wage. Concerned about the possible impact on franchised businesses, the International Franchise Association ("IFA") is lobbying against it.
- Many businesses are opposed to minimum wage hikes, but how are the "feel good" companies like Starbucks and Chipotle handling the issue?
- Franchisors continue to nervously watch Massachusetts, which is considering a bill that would make non-compete provisions in franchise agreements illegal. The IFA is opposing the measure.
- McDonald's announces plans to refranchise about 1,500 restaurants, mostly in Europe and the Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa; Wall Street analysts not impressed.
- Forbes reports on home health care franchises and why that segment continues to grow.